I recently passed along some samples of scrub soap along to beau beau, my male guinea pig. After trying them out for a couple weeks, he couldn’t help but rave. So much so that I needed to hunt some down for myself. These soaps slough skin with physical exfoliators like oat bran. I was concerned about irritation, but these guys both got my skin extraordinarily clean without injuring delicate areas. It was so helpful in tackling dry elbows, feel and backs of arms.
Kiehl’s Ultimate Man Body Scrub Soap may technicallly be a men’s product, but ladies, you will want to borrow this one. It is designed for thicker skin, with natural oat bran, oat kernal and pumice. The soap itself has a refreshing scent and lathers while you work on your tougher skin. I prefer this to the standard pumice as it cleans and is slightly gentler. For those of you with men who have rough skin, this will soften without leaving an overly feminine fragrance.
If you prefer a little more bang for your buck, Bliss Mammoth Minty Scrub Soap is an ENORMOUS bar of soap that is well designed, effective and refreshing. Not only is the bar large, but it is hard-milled making it extra long lasting. Jojoba beads offer a gentler exfoliation. And the mint oil make it superbly refreshing.
Jack Black, of lip balm fame, makes a ‘Turbo Body Bar™’ Scrubbing Soap that offers that deep clean men seem to crave. There is a good amount of lather and hydration (murumuru and shea butters) in this bar, along with exfoliation. The scent is invigorating with natural blue lotus and ginkgo biloba making it a dream for early mornings. Natural lava rock is a hefty but gentle exfoliator.
Here’s a round-up of some of my favorite skin-savers I have found this summer:
1. Bliss Blood Orange+White Pepper Soapy Suds: I love a good lather (especially after a hot day), and bliss does it right. But at the same time, it doesn’t dry out your skin. They throw in aloe and vitamin E so soften your skin. I love this for a spicy bath, but it also works great in the shower. And the scent can’t be beat.
2. VI Derm Exfoliating Body Wash with 15% Glycolic and Body Lotion with 15% Glycolic: Those nasty red bumps on my arms and legs are never pleasant. But they are especially bothersome in the summer with tanks, swimsuits and shorts de rigueur. I used KP Duty this winter with some success, but my new favorite weapon against Keratosis Pilaris (50% of Americans have it) is glycolic in the form of body wash and lotion from VI Medical. The citrus scent is delightful and this stuff works wonders. Be careful – glycolic can make you more sensitive to the sun’s harmful rays.
3. AHAVA Mineral Suncare Sun Protection Anti-Aging Moisturizer, SPF 50: You have already heard me go on and on about quality sun care protection and how necessary it is. So I won’t repeat here. But what I also love about this sunscreen is the addition of minerals, vitamins and moisturizing agents. It takes the anti-aging mission a step further and makes my skin look better.
4. Giovanni Cool Mint Lemon Salt Scrub with Crushed Mint Leaves: This vegetarian scrub is like magic. Not only does it smooth, soothe and regenerate skin in the shower. It continues to cool skin long after you have dried off. This has to be an all time summer MVP, especially during these triple digit days down here in Oklahoma.
5. SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus Picaridin Towelettes: Bugs hate me and I hate them. Not only do they love to bite me, but I tend to have the most unattractive reaction with itchiness and red bumps. This travel-safe repellant has been my savior. It is completely effective, doesn’t smell obnoxious and keeps those suckers (literally) away.