Hello! Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. I had a busy work schedule over the holidays but got away to Florida to see my mom this past weekend and it was glorious. Everyone was apologizing for how cold it was (50s and 60s) and I was like “this is glorious!”. Hahaha!! Tulsa has been literally freezing. I have a ton of health and beauty tips from mom to share – I am making the potassium broth she introduced to me right now. Sounds weird but it is delicious – just google it.
One little treasure mom shared her thoughts on with me was the PHYTO PHYTOJOBA Intense Hydrating Brilliance Mask. I can’t find this anywhere but Amazon so it might be discontinued, so if it sounds appealing, snap it up while you can. Mom’s hair is dry so she is always looking for something to infuse moisture and this does it big time. The mask is aromatic and contains jojoba oil. The formula melts into hair for nourishing hydration while angelica root and orange essential oil add shine. Right before a walk one morning, mom slathered some on and let it “marinate” while we sweat a little bit. Perfect way to use it in my book.
Available at Amazon.
One of my all time favorite websites is 3floz.com. When I first discovered it years ago, it was a “why didn’t I think of that?” moment. Everything beauty related is made travel friendly. They have an amazing selection of products that are perfect to pick up for a trip or try out at home. But to get a real sense of the all-stars, I asked the heavy hitters for their favorites. Founders, Alexi and Kate, share their top picks and Stacy Small, traveler and agent extrodinaire shares her “must haves” for her many days on the road. I also threw in my favorite items for good measure. Enjoy and be sure to check out the pins of the items on my Makeup Makeup Makeup Pinterest Board.
- Yes to Cucumber Towelettes – I have these in every bag and my medicine cabinet. They are perfect for taking make up off, especially the eyes – they don’t burn like most Towelettes. I use them as hand sanitizers, cool down after the gym, after a long ride in the car/plane/subway. Basically, you can use them for anything.
- Archipelago Dubai Travel Tin – You never know what your hotel room is going to smell like so I like to be prepared. Dubai is blended with Amber, Mandarin and Musk.
- BlowPro Beach Blow Texturizing Mist – I love my hair after a day at the beach…. The texturing mist gives my hair a day at the beach look!
- Philip B Lavender Body Wash – Hot man smell in a bottle
- David Kirsch Wellness Vitamin Juice Packets (Raspberry flavor) – I am pretty forgetful about taking vitamins every day! With the DK vitamins I pour a pouch into my water bottle in the morning while at my desk and drink my vitamins.
- Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peels – I use these daily on my skin. They peel off the dead skin and leave my face feeling fresh and wrinkle free, or so I tell myself!
- Jonathan Create Volume Thickening Foam – Better than mousse!! Use on the ends and sparingly on your roots for noticeably fuller hair.
- Serge Norman Metasilk Shampoo and Conditioner – Luxurious is the only word to describe this combo. I was a afraid my hair was going to be weighed down by these ultra lush products but that was just not the case and now I am a convert. Moisture rich shampoo and conditioner that still gives me volume-AMAZING!
- Blow Faux Dry Shampoo – This product is life changing. The reason the BFD is my fav is because it really soaks up the oils and works on all hair. My hair is dark and so I apply it over the crown of my head, massage it in-you need to massage it in like you would shampoo-and use my blow dryer to get rid of the extra powder. I can extend my blow out a least 2 days longer than I should with this product.
- Dr. Dennis Gross Glow Pads – these wipes have saved my skin! Since I met these wipes tanning has never crossed my mind. They work with your own skins Vitamin D so the color is perfect and they exfoliate the skin leaving a healthy glow.
- Supergoop City Serum SPF 30+ – First serum I have ever found that does not irritate my skin and doesn’t like that dry film. I include a few drops in with my daily face moisturize and apply it directly to my neck and décolletage.
- Air Repair Complexion Quenching Facial Mist – The aloe leaf juice, hyaluronic acid and sodium PCA makes this stuff a champion at fighting the drying effects of flying. It actually soothes irritated skin and leaves me radiant upon arrival.
- Ole Henriksen See the Difference Serum with African Red Tea – As a frequent traveler, I am constantly on the look-out for products that will hydrate my skin without clogging my pores. The Ole Henricksen Red Tea serum is like a magic potion that does just this…especially on the plane and when traveling in colder climates than I am accustomed to.
- David Kirsch Wellness B-12 Spray – The B12 Wellness spray is a fantastic way to get my needed energy boost when jet lag hits.
- Murad Energizing Pomegranate Lip Protector – I love the Murad pomegranate lip protector year-round; have tried so many different lip balms and glosses and this one is soothing and shiny without being greasy.
- Phytovolume Actif Volumizer Spray – My naturally straight hair loves the Phyto volumizer as it adds just enough volume without that awful product residue of many sprays and volumizers.
- Murad Essential-C Eye Cream SPF 15 – Vitamin C can work against those stubborn dark eye circles and I love the SPF is already included.
- Herban Essentials essential oil towelettes – I love their mixed bag of towelettes because I use different scents for different things. On an overnight flight, the lavender is a perfect way to remove germs while unwinding. The mint refreshes in the AM. And citrus is perfect after a rush through an airport or a workout.
- Yes to Cucumber Towelettes – Like Alexi, I stash these everywhere. They are perfect if you are just too tired to do the whole routine in the evening. Just wipe your makeup off and fall into bed.
- Blow Faux Dry Shampoo – Kate introduced me to this stuff. Thank goodness, because it is the best dry shampoo I have tried. I love how you squeeze the bottle to dispense. It leaves hair fresh and clean.
- Jack Black Intense Lip Therapy SPF 25 with Natural Mint & Shea Butter – Actually designed for men, I can’t quit this lip balm. It is super conditioning and thick, but also with a hefty does of SPF. The mint is really refreshing.
- Dr. Hauschka Birch Arnica Body Oil – You know how you can get kinda sore after being cooped up in an airplane? I love throwing this stuff in a bath upon arrival. It supports muscle flexibility and soothes sore joints and muscles.
I just don’t get what all the fuss is about. When I moved from SF to Austin, years ago, I was welcomed with an unfamiliar frizz. My new stylist recommended Phyto Phytodefrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm Anti-Frizz and I willingly handed over the cash. Even after I threw the first tube away in frustration, I bought it AGAIN a couple of years later. That tube, still mostly full, sits in isolation in the bottom on my bathroom drawer. Its headed for the trash. That’s it. It leaves my hair sticky and coarse. I can’t really say it dramatically changes the state of my frizz. It feels gross when I apply it to my hair. I have tried using less, using more, everything. I am turning my attention to a Keratin treatment now.